Thursday 6 November 2014

Bread for a Friend

Will be having lunch with some friends tomorrow. Not entirely unsurprising, but some of them have food allergies, so I wanted to make a bread that fits all of our requirements. That meant coming up with a bread that has no eggs, dairy, wheat, rye, oats, barley, rice, buckwheat, nuts and soy. In my cupboard I had a packet of half-used quinoa flour, which just had such a strong taste, it felt like stinging in my mouth when baked. After some googling, I found out how to fix that - toasting!

I toasted my leftover flour in a cast-iron pan on medium heat on the stove until it stopped smelling weird and turned a lovely deep golden colour. Then I searched my pantry for suitable flour and thus, the quinoa-chickpea-chia seed bread was born. I don't quite care for the gummy feel that psyllium husk seeds give breads, so I threw in the rest of our baked sweet potato. It worked.



Heavy Bread  
100 g toasted quinoa flour
100 g chickpea flour
80 g chia seed flour
150 g potato starch
150 g sweet potato purée
1 tbsp yeast
1 tsp salt
50 g oil
375 g water 
Mix all together, put in 1,5 litre baking pan. Allow to rise until doubled (about 40-60 minutes) and then bake at 200 C for approximately 40-50 minutes, or until ready.
Let cool, eat! Also good when warm, not gummy at all (hooray). 


No comments:

Post a Comment